- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
Court gives OJ lawyers a week to resubmit appeal
Question of the Day
LAS VEGAS (AP) - O.J. Simpson’s lawyers were given another week Friday to reformat and resubmit an appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court seeking a new trial in the kidnapping and armed robbery case of the former football star.
In the order, Chief Justice Mark Gibbons agreed to accept a supersized 20,000-word document that Simpson’s lawyers had submitted before a May 21 deadline if it complies with court formatting rules.
“Basically they want it to be double-spaced,” court spokesman Michael Sommermeyer said.
Simpson attorney Patricia Palm said she was glad the justices agreed to accept the 19,933 words she submitted nine days ago. The new deadline is June 6.
Palm noted the court frequently accepts briefs longer than its 14,000-word limit in complex cases.
Palm and Simpson appeal lawyers Ozzie Fumo and Tom Pitaro want the court to reconsider the contention that Simpson got bad legal advice, that his trial lawyer had a conflict of interest, and that Simpson’s 2008 Las Vegas trial was tainted by his notoriety.
Clark County District Judge Linda Marie Bell rejected those arguments and others in a Nov. 26 ruling that totaled 101 pages.
Simpson, 66, is serving nine to 33 years in a state prison in Lovelock after a jury found him guilty of kidnapping, armed robbery and other charges in a confrontation with two sports memorabilia dealers at a Las Vegas casino hotel.
He’s not eligible for parole until late 2017.
Simpson claims he was trying to retrieve items that had been stolen from him after he was acquitted of killing Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman in Los Angeles, and a 1997 civil case against Simpson that resulted in a wrongful-death judgment of $33.5 million.
The NFL hall of famer testified last year that he thought he had a right to get his belongings back, and that he never knew any of the men with him were carrying guns.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq