- Associated Press - Saturday, May 31, 2014

PHOENIX (AP) - Diana Taurasi and the Phoenix Mercury looked like the high-flying team that has been in the WNBA Western Conference finals four of the last five years.

“Today we were sharp,” said Taurasi, who led the Mercury with 16 points in a 100-78 victory over the Tulsa Shock on Friday night. “We had a good four or five days of working on things that we left on the wayside against San Antonio.”

The Mercury’s 78-74 setback to San Antonio on May 23 is the only loss four games into the season.

“It took us a little bit but we figured it out and we had some people come up big tonight,” Taurasi added.

Offseason acquisition Erin Phillips added 15 points - after scoring a total of 17 in the first three games combined - to help the Mercury beat the a Shock.

Brittney Griner added 14 points, five rebounds and four blocked shots for Phoenix.

Riquna Williams had 27 points off the bench for Tulsa (0-4).

Skylar Diggins had 20 points and four assists for Tulsa after being held to two points in the first 17½ minutes of the game.

First-year Mercury coach Sandy Brondello echoed her star’s comments about taking advantage of the weeklong gap in the schedule.

“We had good practice week, we put it into action tonight, that’s the way we really want to play,” Brondello said. “Some days are going to be a little harder than that, obviously. Tulsa is a good team. I’m sure the next game will be closer.”

Phillips, acquired in a trade with Indiana, hadn’t found her scoring touch in the first two weeks of the season but on Friday made 5-of-7 from the field, including 3 of 4 from beyond the arc.

“I think for me, the first few games I was playing a bit too much like a point guard, trying to get other people involved, rather than looking for my shot,” she said.

The Mercury started the second quarter on an 18-2 run to break open a close game, taking a 40-21 lead with 3:54 left in the first half.

Phoenix hit its first four shots of the period and made eight straight free throws during the run.

The Mercury were 16 of 20 from the foul line in the first half. Tulsa did not attempt a free throw until four minutes had passed in the second half.

Story Continues →