Vets around the country describe VA experiences

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs became an explosive political story this week, culminating with the resignation of VA Secretary Eric Shinseki.

The final straw appeared to be a report that described chronic wait times at the Phoenix hospital and found that about 1,700 veterans in need of care were “at risk of being lost or forgotten.” The VA and independent investigators with the Office of Inspector General are still in the process of uncovering problems at dozens of other VA facilities around the country while some lawmakers are calling for criminal probes.

As the investigations unfold, The Associated Press reached out to veterans in Arizona and several other states to recount their experiences with VA medical care. Some described delays and oversights. Others said they were pleased with their care.

The ongoing investigations are currently focused on scheduling, delays in care and allegations that VA managers instructed employees to falsify records. But independent reports dating back a decade have found that, while access is a problem, VA care has consistently been equal to or better than that in the private sector.

Here is what some veterans had to say:


Vietnam veteran Dan Dominey has been in pain for months because, he said, the VA hospital in Phoenix delayed his care. The 66-year-old former Marine fell and broke his back in December.

Dominey, of Mesa, Arizona, said he had been using the VA for health care for about eight years, and he thought the service had been fine. But he never suffered any serious injuries or illnesses until now.

“They’ve never been quick about getting me an appointment. But then again, I never needed anything right away until this back situation happened,” Dominey said.

At first, the self-employed welder didn’t know how serious the injury was, so he kept working, suffering through the pain.

He finally went to the VA hospital in Phoenix in January, about a month after the accident.

At the clinic, VA doctors first performed X-rays, then weeks later an MRI, and nearly a month later a bone scan.

Dominey said he was eventually referred mistakenly by the VA to a private neurologist, and he finally got an appointment with an outside neurosurgeon. By the time the VA had scheduled him for surgery, it was already mid-May, nearly six months after the injury.

What Dominey heard next was disheartening. He said the doctor shook his head in frustration and told him the procedure likely wouldn’t work now because it had been too long since the injury.

The wound should heal on its own, he was told, but it could be another year with constant pain and medication.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks