- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
New York fair suspending piglets and sows exhibit
Question of the Day
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - The state Department of Agriculture and Markets has decided to suspend the sows and piglets exhibit and competition at the New York State Fair this summer.
The move is an effort to protect the health and safety of the animals from a relatively new virus known as Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea. State veterinarian Dr. David Smith says a lack of a vaccine that’s been proved effective against the virus makes the risk too high this year.
The virus first appeared in the United States in May of last year and has since spread to about half the country. It’s caused the death of an estimated 5 million piglets.
Adult male and female pigs without piglets will still be on display in the goat, llama and swine barn at this year’s fair.
By Richard Rahn
Treaty would let tyrants peer into Americans' financial information
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq