- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Panel OKs bill to let psychologists prescribe
Question of the Day
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - An Illinois legislative panel has signed off on a proposal that would allow psychologists in the state to prescribe medication to patients.
The Springfield bureau of Lee Enterprises newspapers reports (http://bit.ly/1nsnCZ3 ) the bill passed a House committee Thursday in Springfield on a 9-5 vote. It now heads to the full chamber.
The measure is sponsored by Rep. John Bradley, a Marion Democrat. He says letting psychologists prescribe drugs would help ease a doctor shortage in some areas of Illinois.
Psychologists would have receive specific training for prescription-writing privileges and be required to work with a coordinating physician.
But the measure is opposed by the Illinois State Medical Society. The physician’s group says psychologists don’t have enough medical training to safely dispense medication.
The bill is SB2187
Information from: The Pantagraph, http://www.pantagraph.com
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Hillary Clinton: I was indeed 'dead broke,' but shouldn't have said so
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world