- The Washington Times - Monday, November 17, 2014

EDITOR’S NOTE: A previous version of this article misstated Joan Tarshis’s involvement in “The Bill Cosby Show.” She said she often visited Mr. Cosby on the set, but was not a contributor.

Another woman who has accused Bill Cosby of rape is coming forward to reveal the details of her alleged experience.

Joan Tarshis, a former actress, wrote in an essay published by Hollywood Elsewhere that the comedian drugged and raped her when she was 19 on two separate occasions in 1969.

Ms. Tarshis said she met Mr. Cosby through mutual friends, and he would often invite her to his room on the Universal lot where he shot “The Bill Cosby Show.”

One night while they were working together on a separate project, she said she lost consciousness after he made her a cocktail.

“The next thing I remember was coming to on his couch while being undressed,” she wrote. “Through the haze, I thought I was being clever when I told him I had an infection, and he would catch it, and his wife would know he had sex with someone. But he just found another orifice to use. I was sickened by what was happening to me and shocked that this man I had idolized was now raping me. Of course I told no one.”

Ms. Tarshis wrote about a second time when she woke up in Mr. Cosby’s bed after drinking with him at a musical performance.

“It took me about 20 years to admit this to anyone. My girlfriend, who was a cartoonist, told me she had heard rumors about Cosby, and believed them. She always thought where there’s smoke there’s fire,” she wrote.

“But during those years as I grew into adulthood, I watched Cosby be praised by everyone from Presidents to Oprah to the Jell-O Corporation. It all made me ill, knowing first-hand there was something unbalanced about him. I had heard and/or strongly suspected I was not the only white girl he had drugged and raped but I never had any proof. No one began talking until 2004. And though I knew I should say something, I still felt ashamed. Ashamed that I didn’t earlier,” Ms. Tarshis said. “In any event now, as more and more of his rape victims have come forward, all telling similar stories, the time is right to join them.”

Barbara Bowman, another alleged victim, wrote in a Washington Post op-ed last week that she was drugged and raped by Mr. Cosby in the 1980s. Though the comedian has never been criminally charged, he did settle a civil suit in 2006 with Andrea Constand, who claimed he sexually assaulted her.

Mr. Cosby gave his first statement via his lawyer Sunday after increased pressure from the public to address sexual assault allegations from 13 different women. The accusations have haunted Mr. Cosby for years, but they only recently re-emerged after comedian Hannibal Buress called Mr. Cosby a “rapist” during a stand-up routine.

Mr. Cosby went silent during an NPR interview on Saturday, repeatedly shaking his head “no” when asked about the allegations. The comedian subsequently canceled an appearance scheduled this week for “Late Show with David Letterman” on CBS without comment.

Attorney John P. Schmitt wrote a statement on Mr. Cosby’s website Sunday that dismissed the allegations.

“The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true,” he said. “Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.”

Copyright © 2017 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide