- Associated Press - Friday, October 10, 2014

AUGUSTA TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - A missing ground line and short circuit from a field light caused the death of a teenage boy who was shocked at a school football game in Michigan, according to investigators.

Lincoln Consolidated Schools and Washtenaw Intermediate School District school district officials announced the findings at a community meeting Thursday, the Ann Arbor News (https://bit.ly/ZSUlQW ) reported. Lincoln Middle School student Christian Lorinczy, 13, was electrocuted Sept. 30 after he fell backward into a fence near bleachers at the Lincoln High School football field. He died at a local children’s hospital three days later.

“Please know we share in your sadness over Christian’s death and we recognize how heartbreaking this has been for his family, our students and staff,” said Kimberly Samuelson, Lincoln Board of Education president. “Safety is our first priority.”

State and district investigators determined that a ground line between two light posts on the field didn’t connect, according to Randy Trent, Washtenaw ISD operations director. The electricity traveled to the fence instead, he said.

No one tampered with the school’s electrical panels, Trent said, and electricians will examine the light post.

“We have no way of knowing exactly what it was until we go in and look at the top of the light and trace it back,” he said. “We are to find it, fix it. We will go through all the circuits in the stadium to ensure all electrical pathways are in place.”

The district will implement a new preventative maintenance schedule, according to Superintendent Ellen Bonter. More updates will be provided as the investigation continues, she said.

___

Information from: The Ann Arbor News, https://www.mlive.com/ann-arbor

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide