- The Washington Times - Sunday, October 12, 2014

Twitter employees have started receiving death threats from Islamic State members after they began cracking down on terrorist accounts, the social media site’s CEO said.

After shutting down some of the militant group’s Twitter accounts, company management dealt with calls for their assassination, Vanity Fair reported.

“That’s a jarring thing for anyone to deal with,” Twitter CEO Dick Costolo said onstage last week at Vanity Fair’s New Establishment Summit.

Mr. Costolo did not detail the contents of the messages.

The blocked accounts were used to promote terrorism and recruit members. Twitter has long refused to give criminals a voice online, he said.

“It’s against the law in many of the countries in which we operate for them to use it to promote their organization,” Mr. Costolo said, the New York Daily News reported. “And when we do find those accounts, we shut them down. We shut them down quite actively.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide