- Associated Press - Thursday, September 11, 2014

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina has completed an internal investigation into an alleged hazing incident involving football players.

In Thursday’s statement, the school said information was sent to the student attorney general, who will decide whether to pursue charges through the honor court.

The statement doesn’t name anyone involved or details other than the incident took place off-campus Aug. 4.

Coach Larry Fedora suspended sophomores Des Lawrence and Brian Walker, redshirt freshman Donnie Miles and true freshman M.J. Stewart for the opener for a “violation of team policy.”

That came one day after a Yahoo Sports report of an alleged altercation at a hotel where players were staying for preseason camp, leaving a redshirt freshman walk-on receiver with a possible concussion. The school had previously said it was investigating an incident involving football players, though it hasn’t confirmed it was a hazing incident.

A Chapel Hill police spokesman has said his department received no report from the hotel and there was no active investigation.

UNC said Thursday it also notified its Department of Public Safety to comply with the Clery Act, a federal requirement for schools to report crime data. The department classified it as an “allegation of aggravated assault” involving athletes and stated the victim suffered minor injuries in a three-page report dated Aug. 8, though names are redacted.

Jeff McCracken, UNC’s police chief and director of public safety, said his department isn’t investigating since the incident occurred off-campus.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide