- Associated Press - Monday, April 20, 2015

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - The Albuquerque mayor has proposed removing nearly $150,000 of gang prevention funding from the city’s budget.

The Albuquerque Journal reports (https://bit.ly/1HnynXJ) that Mayor Richard Berry is suggesting that the money would instead be used for voucher programs that provide long-term housing for the homeless.

The move would drop funding for the anti-gang program from $1.4 million to $1.3 million.

The director of a gang intervention program says the cut will force her to lay off four people who work with youth.

A 17-year-old told city councilors last week that the program helped him turn his life around after he joined a gang and began using drugs.

But city officials say there is an increased demand for housing vouchers and mental health services as they break up homeless camps.

___

Information from: Albuquerque Journal, https://www.abqjournal.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide