- Associated Press - Saturday, December 5, 2015

CHICAGO (AP) - The latest on the shooting of a black man 16 times by a Chicago policeman (all times local):

4 p.m.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson says he will lead a march through downtown Chicago on Sunday in response to newly released police reports about the shooting of Laquan McDonald and the city’s handling of it and other shootings involving officers.

Jackson said Saturday the documents show police “misrepresenting” what happened the night of McDonald’s death last year. He reiterated his call for “a full, thorough investigation with subpoena power” and says it’s time to escalate the protests.

Jackson’s Rainbow PUSH Coalition has called for the rally to begin at 1:30 p.m. at State and Van Buren streets. Demonstrators will march to the Thompson Center, a state government building.

___

1:40 p.m.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is denying there was a cover-up in last year’s shooting of a black teenager 16 times by a white police officer.

Emanuel on Saturday released an opinion piece he wrote for the Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune. Emanuel says he strongly rejects the idea the release of squad-car video of the shooting was delayed because of his re-election campaign.

He says the city was following a longstanding practice of releasing such material only after the close of an investigation.

But he says he should have known that a delay in releasing the video would raise suspicions because of the “checkered history of misconduct” within the police department.

He calls for a “complete and total reform of the system and the culture” within the department.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide