- Associated Press - Sunday, December 6, 2015

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - New Orleans police have named three more suspects in a shootout that wounded 17 people after a neighborhood parade last month, and say two are in custody. Three of eight named suspects remained at large Sunday, a news release said.

The investigation is continuing and more may be identified, Officer Garry Flot, a police spokesman, said in an email.

“This investigation is moving quickly and aggressively, and the results we’ve achieved at this point are directly attributed to the strong partnership between the NOPD and the community,” Superintendent Michael Harrison said in Sunday’s news release. “I am confident that we will track down everyone involved in this violent crime and they will be brought to justice.”

He said in a news release Sunday that 17-year-old Malik “Leaky” Johnson, Wilfred “Lil Wilfred” Celestine, who will turn 20 on Dec. 19, and 20-year-old Eddie “Eazy” Copelin all had been identified as suspectsin the gunfight at Bunny Friend Playground.

It was not clear whether any has an attorney who could comment. Online court docket notes showed that Copelin’s bond was set Sunday at $170,000 on 17 counts of attempted murder and that the public defender’s office had been appointed to represent him, but did not identify an attorney.

Flot said Johnson was arrested Nov. 24 on a charge unrelated to the Nov. 22 shootout, and Copelin was arrested Saturday. Each has been booked with 17 counts of attempted murder.

It was not clear whether attorney Brandi McNeil, who represents Johnson on a charge of first-offense illegal possession of a stolen firearm, represents him on the new charges. McNeil did not immediately respond to an emailed query Sunday.

Police have said they believe rival gangs opened fire in a crowd of hundreds.

Flot said Celestine, 20-year-old Quendrick “C4” Baily and 29-year-old Michael “Mack” Allen,” remained at large Sunday. Lawrence “L” Veals, 19, and Rashad “KMG Ezzy” Walker, 22, identified as suspects Friday, have been arrested, he said.

The first person named as a suspect, Joseph “Moe” Allen, 32, remains in custody and has not provided a statement to detectives, the news release said.

It was not clear whether the Allens are related.

There is a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to an arrest in the case.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide