- Associated Press - Tuesday, January 20, 2015

WATERFORD, N.J. (AP) - The parents of a young southern New Jersey boy killed last year when he was hit by a school bus have filed a wrongful death and negligence lawsuit.

The suit brought by Candace and Edmond Bock names the Waterford Township Board of Education, Hillman’s Bus Service and the bus driver as defendants, though the family’s lawyer says they still don’t know the driver’s name.

The couple’s 6-year-old son, Edmond Bock IV, was walking to the bus when the accident occurred in January 2014. He suffered a crushed skull and was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Candace Bock and her 3-year-old son witnessed the fatal accident, which remains under investigation by Camden County authorities.

The suit seeks unspecified damages.

The family’s lawyer, Benjamin Folkman, said they hope state lawmakers will work to prevent similar tragedies.

The bus company declined comment on the suit Tuesday afternoon. A message left for the school district’s superintendent was not returned Tuesday.

According to the suit, the child was crossing the street to get to the stopped bus when he was hit. But the driver began moving forward and the boy was dragged under the bus.

The suit further alleges that the driver continued to drive “for some distance” until he was flagged down by another driver.

The Camden County Prosecutor’s Office said toxicology testing revealed no illicit substances or alcohol in the driver’s system, and GPS data showed the bus did not exceed the speed limit during its route. They said state police also conducted an inspection of the bus and found no issues.

The investigation has concluded the bus driver was not acting recklessly at the time of accident and will not be charged, the prosecutor’s office said.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide