- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 15, 2015

HAMILTON, N.J. (AP) - Authorities say a popcorn machine fire abruptly ended the night for moviegoers at a central New Jersey theater this week.

NJ.com (http://bit.ly/1O6A6BS) reports that no injuries were reported in Monday night’s fire at the AMC Hamilton 24 theater, which was quickly evacuated.

Officials say the popcorn machine started sparking and soon caught fire, sending thick smoke and the odor of burned popcorn throughout the building.

Authorities say an off-duty Ewing Township police officer helped concession workers douse the machine with fire extinguishers before firefighters arrived. The building was then shuttered for the night, but has since reopened.

It’s not clear how many people were in the building when the fire broke out, or if ticket holders were compensated for missed/interrupted movies.

The theater has since reopened.

___

Information from: NJ.com, http://www.nj.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide