- Associated Press - Thursday, July 16, 2015

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Frank Guinta has seen a significant decline in individual campaign donations since the Federal Election Commission concluded that he accepted $355,000 in illegal campaign donations from his parents.

Guinta insists the money for his 2010 campaign belonged to him because for years he contributed to and managed a “family pot” of money, but the FEC fined the Republican $15,000 and ordered him to repay his parents, according a settlement made public in May.

Reports filed this week show his total contributions for the second quarter amounted to $114,000 - less than half the amount he took in during the first three months of the year. He received money from 16 individuals in the last three months, compared with 105 individual donations the previous quarter. He also took in $102,000 from political action committees in the second quarter, down from $182,000 the previous quarter. He spent $119,000, including refunding $7,000 to two PACs associated with House Speaker John Boehner, and ended the quarter with $307,050, about $5,000 less than what he started the quarter with.

Guinta was first elected in 2010, lost to Democrat Carol Shea-Porter in 2012, then defeated Shea-Porter last year to take the seat back.

During his first campaign, Guinta reported lending himself $355,000 and amended a disclosure form to add a previously unreported bank account worth up to $500,000, prompting questions from his Republican primary rivals and Shea-Porter. For five years, he flatly denied the money was an illegal campaign donation from his parents, but in the settlement agreement, the FEC concluded the money came from his parents’ bank accounts.

Guinta maintains that his only mistake was improperly reporting money that was rightfully his. The FEC, however, said his own family contradicted those claims.

He has said he plans to run for re-election despite calls from prominent Republicans that he step down.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide