- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 2, 2015

LANCASTER, Pa. (AP) - The state’s highest court has rejected the latest appeal from one of the men convicted of the murders of an elderly couple three and one-half decades ago.

Seventy-eight-year-old George Burkhardt appealed his 1990 life term for second-degree murder convictions in the 1979 slayings.

LNP newspapers (http://bit.ly/1eNfHX1 ) reports that the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled recently that the appeal was filed too late, and lacked merit even if it had been filed in time.

Authorities said Burkhardt conspired with three other men to tie up and rob 87-year-old Mary Swarr and 81-year-old Horace Swarr, who were left bound in their Lancaster home.

Prosecutors said one man called police to report the robbery, but gave the wrong address. The victims were found a week later, dead of starvation and dehydration.

___

Information from: LNP, http://lancasteronline.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide