- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 2, 2015

WASHINGTON (AP) - In a story June 1 about the Washington Monument being closed, The Associated Press, relying on information from the National Park Service, reported erroneously how many people were on the observation level and on an elevator when a power failure occurred. There were 63 people on the observation level, not one. There were two park service employees on the elevator; it was not empty.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Washington Monument closed again after another power failure

Washington Monument shut again after power failure, will remain closed until at least Thursday

WASHINGTON (AP) - The National Park Service says the Washington Monument is temporarily closed again after another power failure.

The agency announced that the monument was closed Monday morning after the elevator lost power around 9:30 p.m. Sunday.

Mike Litterst, a spokesman for the park service, said in an email Monday afternoon that the monument will remain closed until at least Thursday. He says technicians are repairing a mechanical alignment issue with the elevator, which may have been caused by the repeated shutting down of the elevator last week.

Officials say two park employees were on board when the elevator lost power; they were safely evacuated after about 30 minutes. Sixty-three visitors were on the observation level when the power failed, officials said. Sixty-two were walked down the stairs by park staff. One person was carried down using an evacuation stair chair.

The monument was closed on Thursday and Friday morning after an electrical problem caused a power failure.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide