- Associated Press - Sunday, June 21, 2015

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - A pedestrian bridge planned over the Providence River in the city’s downtown may be facing more delays.

The Providence Journal reports (http://bit.ly/1GpUXuu ) that the state Department of Transportation is reevaluating the project.

RIDOT Director Peter Alviti Jr. says that given current funding, the agency must also consider other state needs such as deficient bridges and deteriorated roadways.

The bridge is a key element in developing land left vacant after the Interstate 195 realignment. It would connect riverfront parks, including one where the Pawtucket Red Sox want to build a new minor league ballpark.

Officials said last year they hoped to begin the bridge this spring. This week, I-195 Commission executive director Jan Brodie said design revisions have delayed construction until spring 2016.

But a DOT spokesman said the agency may not be able to commit to that timeline.

___

Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide