- Associated Press - Monday, June 22, 2015

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Two Albuquerque city councilors pulled support for a proposal to limit the powers of a police oversight board created after a federal investigation showed the department had a pattern of using excessive force and violating people’s rights.

Councilors Brad Winter and Rey Garduno had proposed limiting the board’s powers in an effort to resolve a police union lawsuit alleged that the board’s level of access to certain documents violated its contract.

The plan has lost steam after Winter and Garduno withdrew as sponsors Friday, The Albuquerque Journal reported (http://bit.ly/1LpjJT0 ). The measure is still on the agenda for the City Council’s meeting Monday.

Garduno said the proposal was not enough to satisfy the union.

“We bent over backwards for them,” he said. “It wasn’t enough, so it’s pretty much dead.”

The move comes after the U.S. Justice Department reached an agreement with the city last year after its investigation found that officers too frequently used deadly force on people who posed a minimal threat and too often used a higher level of force on those with mental illness.

Albuquerque officers have been involved in more than 40 shootings since 2010.

Susan Boe, executive director of the New Mexico Foundation for Open Government, said the proposed changes to the oversight board ran counter to the promises of transparency from federal and local officials made when the city reached the settlement.

___

Information from: Albuquerque Journal, http://www.abqjournal.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide