- Associated Press - Monday, June 22, 2015

HIGHLAND PARK, Ill. (AP) - The poisoning death of a Highland Park couple in their home has drawn more attention to the potential dangers of keyless auto ignitions.

The Chicago Tribune reports (http://trib.in/1GsKBKj ) that Pasquale and Rina Fontanini were found dead June 15. Their son, a local fire department lieutenant, said lethal levels of carbon monoxide were in the home after the couple left their car running in the garage.

Safety advocates count up to a dozen deaths nationwide because of such scenarios and want immediate action.

Sean Kane of Safety Research and Strategies says those deaths are likely undercounted because no reporting is required.

Wade Newton of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers says safety is automakers’ top priority and they generally follow industry guidelines for warning indicators on keyless ignitions.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide