- Associated Press - Friday, June 26, 2015

Your daily look at news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.

JUDGE MAY GIVE LIGHTER PUNISHMENT IN FAMU HAZING CASE

A judge in the case of the final three defendants convicted in the hazing death of a FAMU drum major has found legal precedent to deviate from the recommended sentencing guideline, should she ultimately decide to. Judge Renee Roche said Friday that testimony offered during the manslaughter and hazing trial of Benjamin McNamee, Aaron Golson and Darryl Cearnel demonstrated that 26-year-old Robert Champion “willingly participated” in the brutal hazing ritual that led to his death.

FLORIDA ATTORNEY GENERAL: ‘COURT HAS SPOKEN’ ON GAY MARRIAGE

Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi says the “court has spoken” on gay marriage. Bondi defended the state against lawsuits aimed at upending a ban on same sex marriage that had been approved by Florida voters. Bondi defended her role in the legal battle in a statement released Friday but added it is time to accept the outcome. She said the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision “provided the clarity our state and country was seeking.”

PORT ST. LUCIE DETENTION DEPUTY DIES IN CRASH

A Port St. Lucie Sheriff’s detention deputy died in crash while driving to work. Sheriff Ken Mascara says 50-year-old Deputy Alan Ross of Port St. Lucie died in a one-vehicle crash on Interstate 95 on Thursday evening. The crash occurred around 6:20 p.m. Officials say his wife, Joyce Ross, also works for the sheriff’s office. Ross was born in Miami and attended high school in Lake City.

COAST GUARD: 2012 OLYMPIC SAILOR MISSING OFF FLORIDA COAST

The Coast Guard is searching in Biscayne Bay outside Miami for a missing sailor who was a member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic sailing team. Coast Guard officials in Miami say they received a report Thursday evening about an unmanned inflatable dinghy adrift in Dinner Key. Items belonging to 30-year-old Trevor Moore were onboard. Moore is from Naples and was last seen wearing a dark shirt and swim shorts.

DISNEY: SELFIE STICKS WILL BE BANNED STARTING TUESDAY

Don’t bring your selfie stick to Disney World. Officials announced Friday that a ban takes effect Tuesday at all four Disney theme parks in Orlando as well as at Disney’s water parks and Disney Quest, a gaming attraction at Downtown Disney. Spokeswoman Kim Prunty says selfie-sticks have become a “growing safety concern for both our guests and cast.” Selfie sticks will also be banned at Disneyland Resort in California on Tuesday and at Disney’s parks in Paris and Hong Kong starting July 1.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide