- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 3, 2015

CINCINNATI (AP) - The apartment building fire that led to a Cincinnati firefighter’s death started on a stovetop left unattended, investigators said Wednesday.

The Cincinnati Fire Department’s investigative unit released its report into the March 26 fire’s origin, classifying the cause as accidental. Investigators said food and vegetable oil left on a kitchen stove in an apartment ignited.

Firefighter Daryl Gordon died at a hospital after falling down a fifth-floor elevator shaft while looking for people to rescue in the early morning blaze.

First responders to a fire reported at about 5:30 a.m. were met by intense heat and spreading fire as they rescued residents, and more fire companies were called out. The first there found several residents who had escaped in the parking lot complaining of smoke inhalation. One identified the second floor as where the fire originated, the report said.

“Firefighters attempted to conduct an aggressive interior attack on the fire apartment, but were driven back by high heat and a rapidly extending fire,” the report stated.

The report said four other firefighters suffered minor to moderate burns. Four residents were treated at hospitals.

The reported estimated damage to property at $250,000 and loss of contents at $100,000.

Other investigations, including one by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, are continuing into the death of Gordon, a 29-year veteran.

Large crowds of Cincinnati officials, residents, and firefighters from around the country turned out for services honoring Gordon.

___

Contact the reporter at http://www.twitter.com/dansewell

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide