- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 3, 2015

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) - A committee studying costs for the Newtown school district has endorsed closing an elementary school in the face of declining enrollment.

The Newtown Bee reports ((http://bit.ly/1cxWd74) Superintendent Joseph Erardi told school board members Tuesday night that the Facility and Enrollment Study Committee studied the effects of closing Hawley Elementary School, and Newtown Middle School.

Erardi said a recent downturn in enrollment had been projected for years even before the 2012 shooting that killed 20 students and six educators at Sandy Hook elementary school.

Sandy Hook was demolished and is being rebuilt with the help of a $50 million state grant. That school will not be closed.

Erardi said he expects the school board will continue looking at the option of closing a school in the district over the coming months.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide