- Associated Press - Thursday, June 4, 2015

GARY, Ind. (AP) - Gary has awarded bids to contractors to knock down 41 more buildings as the city continues to tear down structures.

The (Munster) Times (http://bit.ly/1MoaIHF ) reports Gary got $6.6 million last year from the Hardest Hit Fund Blight Elimination Program. The city has already demolished 37 structures.

Gary Redevelopment Director Joseph Van Dyk says the city will pay about $364,000 for the latest round of demolitions.

The federal money from the state program was meant to tear down a minimum of 379 blighted structures. Van Dyk says costs are lower than expected, and he estimates Gary can use the money to demolish as many as 900 structures.

___

Information from: The Times, http://www.thetimesonline.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide