- Associated Press - Monday, June 8, 2015

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Authorities say a 23-year-old Saratoga Springs man is under arrest on suspicion of arson, accused of starting a fire in his parents’ home that killed two pets.

Officials say the blaze started about 2:30 p.m. Monday on the stairway. Fire Chief Jess Campbell says the man and his mother escaped without injury, but a cat and a rabbit were killed.

A second cat was injured but resuscitated at the scene. Two dogs also escaped the blaze.

Saratoga Springs city spokesman Owen Jackson says investigators believe that an accelerant, possibly gasoline, was used to start the fire on the stairway.

Jackson says firefighters are investigating why it was started.

The man’s name was not immediately released.

Campbell says the fire caused about $75,000 in damages and is unlivable. The family is staying with nearby relatives.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide