- Associated Press - Tuesday, March 10, 2015

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A convicted child rapist faces up to life in prison after being convicted Tuesday in Los Angeles of producing child pornography in the Philippines.

Stanley Dan Reczko III, 50, of Los Angeles, was convicted by a federal judge of producing child porn while registered as a sex offender. That follows his conviction by a jury last month of sexually exploiting a Filipino girl by taking explicit photos of her, prosecutors said.

Reczko (retch-KOH’), who was convicted in 1997 of raping a 14-year-old girl in New York state, began grooming the victim in the case by phone beginning in 2003 when she was 13, according to court papers.

He traveled to the Philippines in December 2005 and had sex with the girl and married her a month later when she was 15 in a ceremony that was a sham because he was married and she was too young to wed, according to court papers.

Reczko began taking photos of the girl in 2006. After he beat her in 2007, she told her parents and went to the police, but nothing was done. Reczko was arrested after the girl took a CD of the photos to the International Justice Mission, a non-governmental organization, and investigators were contacted at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Defense lawyer David J.P. Kaloyanides said Reczko has significant appellate issues. There were inconsistencies with evidence of where and when the photos were taken and where the CDs were burned, and other evidence was insufficient, Kaloyanides said.

Reczko faces at least 35 years in prison and up to life in prison when sentenced May 18, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide