- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 4, 2015

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - A judge has ruled that a man who is charged in the kidnapping and killing of a Little Rock real estate agent will be allowed to represent himself.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (http://bit.ly/1wIh2GK ) reports that 34-year-old Arron Lewis won his request after Judge Herbert Wright accepted a mental evaluation last week that deemed Lewis fit for trial.

When questioned about his ability to represent himself, Lewis said that he has some college education and that he can read and write. He also mentioned that he had “won a lawsuit against Benton County.”

Lewis had asked Wright if he could dismiss his lawyer, Jim Hensley, and indicated that he tried to dismiss the attorney multiple times. Lewis has repeatedly complained about his lawyer, according to the psychologist who conducted the mental evaluation.

Wright told Lewis he would be treated like any other attorney in the courtroom during the trial. He replied that he understood and that “it’s not much different than what’s happening now.”

Lewis will not be allowed to leave the Arkansas Department of Correction to investigate his case

Both Lewis and his estranged wife are charged with murder in the killing of realtor Beverly Carter. Her body was found in a shallow grave last year in northern Pulaski County after she was reported missing.

According to Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney John Johnson, the prosecution will not to seek the death penalty after discussing the matter with Carter’s family.

The next trial date is set for June 1.

___

Information from: Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, http://www.arkansasonline.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide