- Associated Press - Friday, October 2, 2015

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - The lawyer for a Providence man charged with killing another man in a drive-by shooting in the city last year says his client acted in self-defense.

Opening statements in the murder trial of 21-year-old Chaquiro Blandino occurred Thursday.

Prosecutors say Blandino opened fire from behind the wheel of a minivan on May 2, 2014, striking and killing 22-year-old Francis Rodriguez, who was in another vehicle.

The Providence Journal (http://bit.ly/1PScaU1) reports that Blandino’s lawyer, Christopher Millea, said his client acted in self-defense after being stalked by and repeatedly shot at by members of the C-Block, gang. Millea said Rodriguez’s passenger, who fled the scene, had pointed a gun at him.

Prosecutors say the gun Blandino used was stolen.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide