- Associated Press - Thursday, August 4, 2016

NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nev. (AP) - North Las Vegas will pay $500,000 to settle a police excessive force lawsuit filed by relatives of a homeless man shot and killed by a patrol officer in March 2014, according to a City Council vote Wednesday.

Council members didn’t publicly discuss the matter before voting to end the federal civil rights case filed over the death of 38-year-old David Robinson.

The city didn’t admit wrongdoing, and department officials didn’t immediately respond Thursday to messages seeking comment.

Attorney Ramzy Ladah, representing Robinson’s son, David Robinson Jr., and widow, Dennia Robinson, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal (http://bit.ly/2aDrzJI ) he was barred from commenting as a condition in the settlement.

At the time of the shooting, police said David Robinson was uncooperative when the officer, Raymond Lopez, stopped him a little after 1 a.m. on a street near North Las Vegas Boulevard.

Lopez was on patrol alone when he shot Robinson three times in the head and once in the shoulder. The officer told detectives he thought he saw Robinson holding a knife, and investigators said they found an 8-inch knife with the blade facing up in Robinson’s back pocket.

Lopez resigned in January 2015 following a fact-finding review of the case. He had been on the police force for about six years.

Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson decided against charging Lopez, with a finding that there was no evidence to contradict the officer’s account that he acted in self-defense.

___

Information from: Las Vegas Review-Journal, http://www.lvrj.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide