- Associated Press - Thursday, August 4, 2016

GARFIELD, N.J. (AP) - A store in New Jersey has suffered major damage after two hoverboards left charging inside caught on fire.

Garfield police Lt. Richard Uram says workers at the store used a fire extinguisher to put out a fire caused by an exploding battery as one of the hoverboards was charging Wednesday.

But Uram says when they returned to the office a few minutes later, the second hoverboard had caught on fire on the desk. That fire spread from the desk to a wall and couch.

Firefighters responded around 3 p.m. to put out the fire.

More than 500,000 hoverboards were recalled last month after some of the motorized scooters overheated, burned riders and damaged property.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide