- Associated Press - Friday, December 16, 2016

BALTIMORE (AP) — Gov. Larry Hogan says Maryland is reapplying for federal funds to make room for double-stacked containers in Baltimore’s aged Howard Street railroad tunnel.

Hogan said in a statement Friday that the state has submitted the application to the U.S. Transportation Department.

The Republican governor and CSX Transportation Chairman Michael Ward both say that enabling taller trains to pass through the 121-year-old tunnel will eliminate an East Coast railroad bottleneck.

Federal officials denied Maryland’s application for tunnel-improvement funds earlier this year.

The plan involves lowering the floor and notching the tunnel’s crown. Officials say they can make enough room in the tunnel and under nine bridges for $445 million.

CSX and the state have committed $270 million. Maryland is seeking federal funds for the rest.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide