- Associated Press - Friday, February 12, 2016

SPRINGPORT, Mich. (AP) - Officials say a smoke alarm system and the actions of a teacher prevented a fire at a high school’s agricultural barn in southern Michigan.

Springport-Clarence Regional Fire Department Chief Gary Ott tells the Jackson Citizen Patriot (http://bit.ly/240RQZa ) that firefighters responded Thursday afternoon to an alarm at Springport High School’s barn.

Firefighters spotted light smoke trailing from the Jackson County barn’s ventilation system. Ott says a heat lamp that was used to keep more than 20 lambs warm fell onto straw inside. He says a teacher used a fire extinguisher to prevent the smoldering straw from catching fire.

Students already were done with school at the time and there were no people in the building. No people or animals were injured.

___

Information from: Jackson Citizen Patriot, http://www.mlive.com/jackson

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide