- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 17, 2016

HONOLULU (AP) - Honolulu Police Chief Louis Kealoha says a major who was arrested for domestic violence in 1994 will not accept a promotion amid ongoing controversy.

Kealoha said in a statement Wednesday that Maj. Ryan Borges has decided to not accept the position of assistant chief. State Sen. Will Espero had criticized the promotion when it was announced, saying it sends the wrong message about how the department views domestic violence.

Kealoha says he still believes Borges would make an excellent assistant chief. However, he says Borges indicated he didn’t want the controversy to continue to be a disruption.

Honolulu prosecutor spokesman Dave Koga has said the 1994 case file had been destroyed because of its age.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide