- Associated Press - Saturday, January 30, 2016

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A veteran Orleans Parish sheriff’s deputy has been sentenced to three months of inactive probation after his conviction last month for pulling a gun on a teenager outside his property in eastern New Orleans.

The New Orleans Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/1P3MBxT ) Criminal District Court Judge Arthur Hunter handed down the sentence Friday for 55-year-old Gregory Degruy.

Degruy was found guilty last month of misdemeanor aggravated assault in a bench trial. He has remained on suspension as a reserve deputy pending the outcome of the case. His attorney, Robert Jones IV, says Degruy is a 28-year veteran of the Sheriff’s Office.

Degruy originally faced a charge of felony aggravated assault in the June 5 incident, in which he was accused of raising a gun and telling a 17-year-old, “I will knock your head in the dirt,” as the youth walked by a property that Degruy owns.

Degruy didn’t testify at his trial, but Jones claimed he never pointed the gun at the boy’s belly, as was alleged, and that his threat was conditional because nothing would happen if the teenager moved on.

Assistant District Attorney Robert Ferrier argued at the trial that the incident was unprovoked. He said the teen, whose father witnessed the incident, was simply “walking down the street, heading home, minding his business, passing the defendant, and the defendant pulled a gun out on him.”

Jones said that with the frequency of armed robberies in the city, Degruy, who was out of uniform, was just being cautious. He had driven up about 9 p.m. with his girlfriend to retrieve his mail. After the incident, Degruy drove from the scene. Police arrested him a week later.

___

Information from: The New Orleans Advocate, http://www.neworleansadvocate.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide