- Associated Press - Saturday, July 2, 2016

MORTON, Pa. (AP) - Authorities say an early morning fire that claimed the lives of a suburban Philadelphia couple is believed to have been started by a meat smoker on the rear deck.

Fire crews in Delaware County were dispatched shortly before 5 a.m. Saturday to a home in the borough of Morton.

Chief Dean Kemp of the Morton-Rutledge Fire Company said 58-year-old Theodore Fine and 58-year-old Barbara Fine were pronounced dead at the scene. They owned Slack’s Hoagie and Pizza Shack and a catering firm in Springfield Township.

Kemp said the fire destroyed the home and caused some heat damage to an adjacent property. He said it was believed to have been caused by a propane-fueled smoker on the back deck that was being used to prepare meats for a holiday celebration.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide