- Associated Press - Monday, July 4, 2016

OGDEN, Utah (AP) - Firefighters say smoldering fireworks in a trash can started a Syracuse house fire that that displaced a family.

Syracuse Fire Chief Eric Froerer says a Boy Scout troop spotted flames at the house Monday morning and alerted the family, who safely left the home.

Froerer says the family had a party Sunday night and tossed used firework cartridges in a trash can next to their home.

He says the cartridges were still hot and smoldering and caught fire overnight. The flames spread to one side of the house.

The Standard-Examiner of Ogden reports (http://bit.ly/29ckCxH ) the fire did about $100,000 in damage to the family’s house and also melted some siding on a neighboring home.

The family of four will be out of their home for about two months while repairs are made.

___

Information from: Standard-Examiner, http://www.standard.net

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide