- Associated Press - Thursday, June 23, 2016

LILLINGTON, N.C. (AP) - The Harnett County sheriff’s deputy who shot and killed a man on the front porch of his home last year has announced his resignation.

Multiple media outlets report Deputy Nicholas Kehagias sent a letter to Sheriff Wayne Coats saying his resignation is effective June 30. In the letter, Kehagias said while offering his resignation was difficult, “I cannot risk putting my fellow law enforcement officers in increased danger due to the environment created by a dishonest media and a baseless lawsuit.”

Livingston’s family announced in April that it would pursue a civil case against Kehagias after a grand jury failed to indict him.

Witnesses said Livingston refused to allow Kehagias to search the home without a warrant. Kehagias was looking for someone else as he investigated a nearby disturbance.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide