- Associated Press - Thursday, June 30, 2016

LAS VEGAS (AP) - The Latest on a last-ditch challenge of a Nevada state plan to begin posting the names of thousands of convicted sex offenders on Friday (all times local):

2:10 p.m.

A state official says the names of 5,200 of 6,500 convicted sex offenders in Nevada are slated to be posted online Friday.

Charlene Hoerth of the Nevada Sexual Offenders Registry provided the total Thursday, after a judge in Las Vegas rejected a last-ditch bid by attorneys to block enactment of a long-fought state notification law passed in 2007.

Clark County District Court Judge Douglas Smith said there was plenty of time to challenge the measure, and an appeal filed Monday to seek a delay should have been filed sooner.

Attorneys for 17 unnamed plaintiffs argue that publishing the names will forever mark low-risk offenders as criminals, and that there’s no provision for correcting errors in the registry database.

The judge set a July 12 hearing on a challenge of the constitutionality of the law.

____

9:35 a.m.

A Nevada judge didn’t put a last-minute stop on a state plan to begin posting the names of thousands of convicted sex offenders whose cases had previously been deemed low-risk.

Clark County District Court Judge Douglas Smith rejected an emergency request on Thursday from attorneys for 17 unnamed plaintiffs who argued that publishing the names will do significant irreparable harm to Tier 1 offenders.

The judge says there was plenty of time to challenge the measure, and an appeal for a delay should have been filed sooner.

But he did schedule a July 12 hearing on a challenge of the constitutionality of the law.

The postings due to start Friday were approved by the state Legislature in 2007 to comply with the federal Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide