- The Washington Times - Wednesday, June 8, 2016

New York Times editor Jon Weisman announced on Twitter Wednesday that he is abandoning the social media site over the company’s refusal to address anti-Semitic tweets.

Mr. Weisman, who is Jewish, wrote that he will be “moving to Facebook where at least people need to use their real names and can’t hide behind fakery to spread their hate.”

The deputy editor of the Times’ Washington bureau said a colleague reported a compendium of anti-Semitic tweets to Twitter Monday, CNN reported.

In one tweet, Mr. Weisman was referred to as a “kike.” Another threatened to have him put “in the oven,” CNN reported.

Twitter response: we see nothing here that violates our rules,” Mr. Weismantweeted.

“I will leave @twitter to the racists, the anti-Semites, the Bernie Bros who attacked women reporters yesterday. Maybe Twitter will rethink,” he added.

By late Wednesday morning, two of the accounts that Mr. Weisman called out were suspended, CNN reported.

“I started getting notifications from Twitter that accounts are being suspended as soon as I said I was quitting Twitter, so yes, somebody is listening,” Mr. Weisman told CNN in an email. “Not all the accounts that I reported, however, are being blocked. I really don’t understand what is deemed acceptable and what is over the line.

“I think Twitter should require people to user their real names, like Facebook does,” he said. “Of course people will lie, just as they do on Facebook. But just making people provide a real name and a verifiable email address would help. Twitter is absurd, and the Twitter handles of anti-Semitic, racist trolls aren’t even trying to sound legit.”

Mr. Weismanwrote last month about the abuse he receives on Twitter, particularly from Donald Trump supporters. Other female journalists, including The New York Times’ Amy Chozick, have reported getting death threats after declaring Hillary Clinton the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide