- Associated Press - Tuesday, March 1, 2016

NORTH LAS VEGAS, Nev. (AP) - A Nevada man accused of abducting and raping teenage girls - including a 14-year-old who showed up at a Las Vegas-area convenience store in December and said she had been kept as his captive sex slave for a month - agreed Tuesday to plead guilty to sex-assault charges that will get him 35 years to life in state prison.

Jimmy Carter Kim, 26, avoided public testimony from his victims by waiving a preliminary hearing and accepting a last-minute plea deal. Seventy-nine other charges were dismissed, including kidnapping, lewdness, attempted sexual assault, sexual battery and use of a minor in producing pornography.

North Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Christopher Lee ordered the case to Clark County District Court, where Kim is scheduled to plead guilty March 10 to one sex assault charge and three counts of sexual assault of a minor under 16.

Prosecutor Stacey Kollins and Kim’s defense attorney, Jeff Maningo, reached the plea agreement during a short break after Lee declined to close the courtroom to the media and public during victim testimony. Detectives from Reno and North Las Vegas also were prepared to testify.

Both attorneys declined to comment outside court, as did the parents of one victim and a woman in her 20s who said she was one of Kim’s victims.

The father of another victim spoke to reporters, but he refused to give his name to avoid identifying his daughter. He called it difficult to sit in the same courtroom as Kim, recalled days spent searching for his daughter, and remembered his relief to learn she hadn’t been killed.

“He’s going where he belongs,” the man said of Kim.

The case came to light after the 14-year-old told police she ran away from home Nov. 3 got into a van with Kim, smoked marijuana and fell asleep before waking up in the Las Vegas area, about 100 miles north of her home in Bullhead City, Arizona.

She told police she had been held captive, threatened with a handgun, raped repeatedly and photographed in sex acts before escaping from Kim’s home. She said she was frightened to try to escape earlier, and described being left alone in a locked room with a bucket for a toilet when Kim was gone.

Prosecutors heard a similar account from a 15-year-old from Las Vegas who went to Reno before telling police she had been kept captive for two weeks in a home in North Las Vegas.

Homeowner Dennis Kim, Kim’s 75-year-old father, told The Associated Press that he never heard a cry for help and didn’t know his son was keeping girls in his upstairs room, including while he was attending vocational school. The father hasn’t been charged with a crime.

The investigation prompted the FBI in Las Vegas to seek more possible victims and to publicize Internet screen names associated with Kim on Facebook, Snapchat, Kik, MeetMe and Instagram accounts. Many were variations of the name Yimmy, such as YimmySin and Yimmy702. Other names were graphically vulgar.

____

This story corrects the name of defense attorney Jeff Maningo, not Lance Maningo.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide