- Associated Press - Friday, March 18, 2016

CINCINNATI (AP) - A man charged with possessing the weapon used in shootings at Cincinnati’s largest building last year is in prison on weapons convictions in another shooting, police said Friday.

Local and federal authorities didn’t provide any motive in the shootings at the Great American Tower in January 2015, but they said there was no indication that anyone was targeted or that the suspect - Rayshawn (also known as Rayshaun) Herald - had any connection with anyone in the building.

Authorities wouldn’t say whether Herald would face additional charges or if anyone else would be charged in the January shootings, which occurred after business hours on four days.

Herald’s attorney, Richard Smith-Monahan, didn’t immediately return calls Friday.

Herald was indicted Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Cincinnati on a charge of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Police say he’s already serving six years in prison in a May 2015 Cincinnati shooting that resulted in no serious injuries.

Authorities closed a downtown tunnel for investigations after shots were fired at the 41-story, 665-foot tower. They said then that they believed the same person was responsible for all the shootings at the building that hit windows.

“You can only imagine the alarm this was bringing to the occupants of the building,” Cincinnati police Assistant Chief Mike John said Friday.

John said a national ballistics database helped lead to Herald’s arrest with shell casings and bullets recovered from the scene linking the building shootings to the firearm used in the May 2015 shooting that damaged a Metro bus.

Authorities also said Friday that traffic camera footage from the area in January showed a muzzle flash coming from the driver’s side of a Ford Fusion. Herald was involved in a crash in late January 2015 while driving a rented Ford Fusion, John said.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide