- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 2, 2016

LANCASTER, Calif. (AP) - A federal appeals court has upheld a $4 million damage award to a homeless couple that was shot and wounded by Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Wednesday deputies Christopher Conley and Jennifer Pederson are liable for the shooting because they illegally entered a shack where the couple was staying without a warrant.

A call to an attorney for the deputies, Melinda Cantrall, was not immediately returned.

According to court documents, the deputies were looking for a wanted parolee and had been told he was spotted in front of the home in Lancaster where the shack was located.

The 9th Circuit opinion says the deputies fired after spotting what appeared to be a rifle pointed at them, but turned out to be a BB gun.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide