- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 2, 2016

LAS VEGAS (AP) - A defense lawyer said Wednesday he’ll seek $50,000 bail for a convicted panderer who was released from prison last year and is now jailed on murder charges in a car-to-car shooting that killed two women and critically wounded a man near the Las Vegas Strip.

Prosecutor Peter Thunell responded that Omar Jamal Talley should be held without bail until trial.

Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Joseph Sciscento set a Friday date for bail arguments ahead of a May 12 preliminary hearing in the Feb. 19 shooting.

Melissa Mendoza and Jennifer Chicas, both 27, were killed. Jerraud Jackson, 30, was wounded. Authorities said the three people were visiting Las Vegas from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Talley’s defense attorney, William Skupa, declined to comment outside court.

Thunell, who won Talley’s conviction in 2010 on three felonies in a case that he said involved evidence that Talley was a pimp, said he may ask the judge to require Talley to declare the source of bail money he might post.

Records show that Talley was paroled from prison last year after serving about five years on a 3½-to-10 year sentence for pandering of a child, pandering furnishing transportation to a child and child abuse. That jury acquitted Talley of kidnapping.

Talley, now 30, told investigators following his arrest Feb. 20 that he was drunk and high on marijuana and didn’t recall leaving the parking garage at the Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood with a gun after a fistfight with Jackson, according to a police arrest report.

Police haven’t said what prompted the fight.

Security video showed the three victims drive away and Talley follow.

Thunell said the case may be taken to a grand jury.

Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson is expected to decide in coming weeks whether Tally will face the death penalty.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide