- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 2, 2016

BOSTON (AP) - Officials say a 67-year-old former Dorchester man who spent 18 years as a fugitive after his 1996 indictment has been acquitted of child rape charges.

The office of District Attorney Daniel Conley says a Suffolk County jury last week acquitted Lens Chappell of charges he sexually assaulted four girls under age the age of 16 between 1982 and 1996.

The Providence, Rhode Island, man tells The Boston Globe (http://bit.ly/1LvYwZf ) on Tuesday that he was relieved when the verdict was rendered.

Chappell was indicted on charges including eight counts of child rape in 1996. Prosecutors have said Chappell knew the alleged victims.

Prosecutors say Chappell fled and was living under an alias when he was apprehended in Providence in November 2014.

Conley’s spokesman says the verdict was “disappointing.”

___

Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.bostonglobe.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide