- Associated Press - Sunday, March 27, 2016

BRUSSELS (AP) - The Latest on the attacks that left 31 dead and 270 wounded in Brussels. (all times local):

2:15 p.m.

Belgian authorities have held police raids in Brussels and two other Belgian cities and kept four of the people they picked up under detention.

The federal prosecutor’s office says the raids are linked a “federal case regarding terrorism” but did not specify whether it had anything to do with the March 22 suicide bombing attacks in Brussels that killed 31 people and left 270 wounded.

The 13 raids in Brussels and the northern cities of Mechelen and Duffel came early Sunday. An investigating judge will decide later Sunday whether the four new suspects will remain in custody. Five others were released after questioning.

___

1:20 p.m.

Messages of sadness, solidarity and grief left for victims of the bomb attack at a Brussels subway station are being collected for storage in the Belgian capital’s archives.

The messages are being laid Sunday on kitchen paper to dry after overnight rain and carefully stacked for transport. Those that can’t be taken for safe keeping are photographed.

Head archivist Frederic Boquet says “we are trying to collect as many documents we can find and they will be preserved at the Brussels Archives.”

Catholic priest Philippe Sandstrom says “archives are always important for life, and for the future.”

Marina Queralt, who often walks with her dog by the Maelbeek metro station that was hit by a suicide bomber, says the public response to the attacks has been very spontaneous and focused on peace.

She said “every morning, every afternoon, it was packed with people who wanted just one thing: that people stop killing each other.”

___

1:05 p.m.

Italian police say they have arrested an Algerian man wanted by Belgian authorities for alleged involvement in a Belgium-based network of false IDs used by suspects implicated in the Paris and Brussels attacks.

The man, arrested near Salerno, came to Italy’s attention by applying for a residency permit. Police Sunday noted he had the same name of man sought by Belgium for alleged involvement in “a criminal network dedicated to false documents on a large scale” that emerged last year in Brussels.

Belgium issued a warrant in January, three months after a raid in the Brussels suburb of Saint-Gilles yield about a 1,000 digital images used for false documents.

Police are investigating why the man was in Italy and expect extradition procedures to begin. They didn’t identify the man or specify when he was arrested.

___

12:25 p.m.

Sweden has confirmed that another Swedish woman was among the victims of the suicide bombings in Brussels.

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Cecilia Gillberg says the woman in her thirties from northern Sweden was killed in Tuesday’s subway attack. Gillberg did not identify the victim or give other details Sunday.

The government earlier said that a Swedish woman in her sixties from central Sweden was also killed in the attacks. Two Swedish men were slightly injured in the bombings Tuesday at Brussels Airport and a city subway station that left 31 dead and 270 wounded.

___

12:15 p.m.

Belgium’s interior minister says the Belgian government has invested 600 million euros ($670 million) into police and security services over the past two years but acknowledged that neglect over decades had caused deficiencies that have hampered an effective response to violent extremism.

Minister Jan Jambon said errors were made in the run-up to the March 22 Brussels attacks that killed at least 31 people and wounded 270 others, but says fresh investments need time before they become visible. He said Sunday that hiring anti-terror specialists and specialized equipment could not happen in weeks or months.

Jambon says “it is also not because you put the money in now, that tomorrow all this is visible on the ground.”

___

5:10 a.m.

Italian police in the southern city of Salerno say they have arrested an Algerian wanted in Belgium for facilitating illegal migration linked to the attacks in Paris.

The police announcement was made on their official Twitter account. No other details are immediately available Sunday morning.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide