- Associated Press - Monday, March 7, 2016

CROYDON, England (AP) - A former Chelsea team doctor spent more than six hours at a private hearing in front of an employment judge Monday for her constructive dismissal case against the English Premier League champions, following a dispute with then-manager Jose Mourinho.

Dr. Eva Carneiro didn’t comment as she left the London South Employment Tribunal. The law firm representing Carneiro said there would be no immediate comment on whether a resolution had been reached.

Earlier, Carneiro’s barrister, Mary O’Rourke, said a resolution was not expected on Monday and that the parties are “so far apart financially.” She called for Mourinho to “make a public apology.”

Carneiro was dropped from first-team duties after Mourinho accused her and another member of Chelsea’s medical staff of being “naive” for taking to the field to treat Eden Hazard late in a Premier League game against Swansea at Stamford Bridge in August. Chelsea was down to 10 men at the time following goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois’ sending-off.

Carneiro later left the club.

The 42-year-old Carneiro also has a separate personal legal action against Mourinho for alleged victimization and discrimination.

Mourinho, who was fired by Chelsea in December because of the team’s run of poor results, did not attend the hearing on Monday.

If no settlement is reached between Chelsea and Carneiro, the case will go to a public employment tribunal, likely in June. That could see Mourinho, Carneiro and representatives from Chelsea called to appear as witnesses, and statements and documents such as emails and text messages would also likely be made public.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide