- Associated Press - Thursday, May 12, 2016

AVON, Conn. (AP) - Fire officials say a blaze caused serious damage to a historic home in Avon that was in the process of being restored by the town’s historical society for use as a museum.

The fire was reported at the Derrin House on West Avon Road around 8:48 a.m. Wednesday after a passing motorist noticed smoking coming from the structure that dates to 1810.

Assistant Fire Chief Bruce Appell says the blaze appeared to have started on the first floor toward the rear of the farmhouse.

Fire Marshal James DiPace says the home sustained some structural damage, but it’s his belief that a “vast majority” can be salvaged.

The Avon Historical Society was planning to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the Derrin family’s acquisition of the property next month.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide