- Associated Press - Thursday, November 3, 2016

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Families in four North Carolina counties forced from their homes after flooding from Hurricane Matthew could be moving into mobile homes soon.

Gov. Pat McCrory said Thursday the Federal Emergency Management Agency approved the help for people displaced from their homes in Columbus, Edgecombe, Robeson and Wayne counties. The help could be extended to more counties.

The state signed contracts last month to start providing mobile homes in areas where hotels and rental homes were flooded, or didn’t exist before the storm.

About 240 people are living in four shelters and more than 1,700 families are living in temporary housing after Matthew, which drenched the state a month ago.

The McCrory administration also revised the storm’s death toll back up to 28 with the death of a Pitt County man. The 79-year-old man died Tuesday from injuries he suffered while cleaning up storm debris on his property on Oct. 11, Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Julia Jarema said.

The governor’s office had reduced its death count earlier this week to 27, saying the previously reported death of a Lenoir County man wasn’t storm-related after all.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide