- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 19, 2016

DECATUR, Neb. (AP) - Officials say it’s still not safe for residents to return to the homes they evacuated in northeast Nebraska because of an anhydrous ammonia leak that killed one man.

Magellan Midstream Partners, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, met with residents Wednesday in Decatur and told them they hope people will be able to return to their homes sometime Thursday.

Magellan has been scrambling to repair an 8-inch-diameter pipeline that carries anhydrous ammonia, commonly used to fertilize crops. When released from a tank or pipe, the liquid becomes a lethal gas that can cause severe chemical burns and damage the tissue of the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.

Authorities have said 59-year-old Phillip Hennig, of Tekamah, was killed by the fumes Monday night while checking on the leak.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide