- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 19, 2016

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - The Latest on voting access issues in North Carolina (all times local):

4:20 p.m.

North Carolina NAACP officials say voters are being removed illegally from voting rolls, but elections officials in some of the challenged counties say that isn’t so.

In a letter, NAACP state president the Rev. William Barber said voters were removed through challenges filed by individuals in at least three counties.

They mailed fliers to registered voters, then challenged the registrations of voters connected to any fliers that are returned as undeliverable.

Barber wants the State Board of Elections to order an end to the process, and to restore the registration of voters whose names were removed “based on unreliable and unverifiable evidence” that they had changed addresses.

Board attorney Josh Lawson says judges, not the state board, handle any challenges to county board decisions.

Elections directors in Beaufort and Cumberland counties said Wednesday that they’ve handled the individual challenges correctly by attempting to notify voters of hearings about those challenges.

___

11:50 a.m.

A group of North Carolina voters that wants to expand early in-person voting in the presidential battleground state has lost its case before a federal appeals court.

A three-judge panel on the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Wednesday denied the emergency motion focused on five counties that include the cities of Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Wilmington. A trial court judge refused the same request last week.

The voters’ lawyers argued the counties weren’t complying with the 4th Circuit’s ruling in July striking down portions of a 2013 law that reduced the early-voting period by seven days. It now covers 17 days.

A state judge already extended a voter-registration deadline until Wednesday in the counties hardest hit by Hurricane Matthew.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide